• In this method of flow control, the sender sends a single frame to receiver & waits for an acknowledgment.
• The next frame is sent by sender only when acknowledgment of previous frame is received.
• This process of sending a frame & waiting for an acknowledgment continues as long as the sender has data to send.
• To end up the transmission sender transmits end of transmission (EOT) frame.
• The main advantage of stop & wait protocols is its accuracy. Next frame is transmitted only when the first frame is acknowledged. So there is no chance of frame being lost.
• The main disadvantage of this method is that it is inefficient. It makes the transmission process slow. In this method single frame travels from source to destination and single acknowledgment travels from destination to source. As a result each frame sent and received uses the entire time needed to traverse the link. Moreover, if two devices are distance apart, a lot of time is wasted waiting for ACKs that leads to increase in total transmission time.
Related Articles Communication Network